The Serenity Prayer is an empowering philosophy for dealing with life successfully. During the Lightning Process Training we refer to the important learnings behind the well known Serenity prayer.
“God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The Courage to change the things I can,
And the Wisdom to know the difference.”
The word God and prayer can make some people feel uncomfortable. They could then think the serenity prayer has nothing to offer them. However there is in fact great life lessons which can be found withing these words without needing to adopt any religious ideas. God can be viewed as nature or our own inner wisdom. I think the sentiment behind the prayer is what is really beneficial to all.
So what lessons can we take from this prayer?
- Accepting what cannot be changed is an important key to happiness. We cannot change the world economy or the weather and spending our energy blaming these uncontrollable factors will just make us angry and upset rather than happy and solution orientated.
- Comfort during challenging times. The prayer reminds us of our inner strength, encouraging us to explore what can be done.
- Count on Calm. Whatever is happening in our lives we should look to our inner calmness
- Empowering the individual. We are encouraged to ask, ‘what can I influence here?” It takes courage to live a life you love and to make choices which are consistent with it. We have found that people in general spend far too much energy trying to change things that cannot be changed instead of focusing on what they can change.
- Exercising Wisdom. The prayer reminds us to use our intelligence wisely! Sometimes it can be the most intelligent among us who can get ourselves into all sorts of trouble. Rather than overcomplicating things, begin make things simple by asking yourself, ‘is how I’m feeling now useful to the job at hand?’
Use the powerful philosophy of the Serenity Prayer to start making powerful changes today. Ask yourself, ‘what within my power can I change today?’